We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Commissioning Editor at Routledge, Taylor & Francis, working on a broad range of academic and professional books as part of the Construction and Property team.
Reporting to the Senior Editor for Construction and Property, you will be an important member of the team in helping us to grow the lists by developing a strong commissioning strategy in line with overall team objectives, including developing an awareness of the academic and professional markets and competitor strengths/weaknesses to take advantage of any gaps and opportunities in the market.
You’ll work closely with the existing authors and editors and also liaise with editorial colleagues across the wider Engineering team as well as working with other internal departments such as production, marketing, rights, and sales to champion our titles and ensure both our handover and revenue goals are met. The position may also involve conference attendance and campus calling.
Closing date: August 6, 2021
What you’ll be doing:
- Meeting annual commissioning and revenue goals, commissioning new books that respond to market needs.
- Meeting annual publishing goals, working with an editorial assistant to ensure that manuscripts are submitted on time and handed over to production on schedule, and that publication dates are met.
- Researching the market, with the goal of commissioning new projects as appropriate.
- Identifying market needs and recruit authors to write books that meet said needs, evaluating book proposals for quality, content, and market viability.
- Proposing quality projects to publishing committee, including compiling an internal proposal document and preliminary financial costing.
- Negotiating contract terms with authors or their representatives to arrive at favorable agreements.
- Working closely with team editors to develop and maintain strategy for the lists as a part of the overall strategy of the Engineering team.
- Working closely with authors, and editorial, production, marketing, and sales colleagues to ensure that goals are met
- Must be a self-starter who can work quickly and independently, while liaising effectively with team members globally.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have a financial focus and ability to budget and analyze financial data.
- Exceptional word processing, spreadsheet, and database skills.
- Experience in academic publishing, ideally in North America, and familiarity with the academic book publishing process.
- Experience commissioning in academic or professional publishing
- Ability to coordinate and prioritise numerous tasks under pressure and to work on your own initiative.
- Excellent team-working skills to deal with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Inventive and proactive in dealing with problems and queries.
- Good publishing business awareness and the ability to learn quickly.
- Ample paid time off + 3 paid days off between Christmas and New Years
- Sick time
- Medical & vision benefits
- Volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- 401(k) match
- Flexible working schedule
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development opportunities
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
You must have the right to work and live in the United States
This role will be based remotely from home on the East Coast to have the most overlap hours with our UK colleagues. The option to visit the office up to several times per week is available (post-Covid).
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.
Experience required: Associate
Click Here to Apply
Taylor and Francis