COM Business Operations Lead
VP, Global Head of Country Operations
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion developed and commercializes Soliris® (eculizumab), the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), two life-threatening ultra-rare disorders. Alexion is also establishing a premier global metabolic rare disease franchise with the development of two late-stage therapies, Strensiq™ (asfotase alfa) for hypophosphatasia (HPP) and Kanuma™ (sebelipase alfa) for Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, Alexion is advancing the most robust rare disease pipeline in the biotech industry, with highly innovative product candidates in multiple therapeutic areas. As the global leader in complement inhibition, the Company is strengthening and broadening its portfolio of complement inhibitors across diverse platforms, including evaluating potential indications for Soliris in additional severe and ultra-rare disorders. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
This position will serve as the financial and resource expert for the Country Operations Management (COM) team. Partners internally with various DOQS functions and externally with our CRO partners to develop an annual operating plan/budget and resource forecasting/management across COM. Develops robust processes and systems for business operations and drives compliance across the COM team with these processes. This role also drives the overall finalization of contracts, accrual reporting, tracking, invoicing, and financial reconciliation between COM, Finance/Global Strategic Sourcing/SPPM and our external partners.
Is the key expert in adopting and implementing robust governance and partnerships with our external partners. Accountable for developing metrics and KPI/KRI to drive successful deliverables of Alexion’s clinical trials. Works closely at the partnership level to ensure consistency across the portfolio globally, developing efficiencies while maintaining the highest compliance standards.
This position also functions as a key member of the COM Leadership Team, playing an instrumental role in providing strategic support to the Global Head of COM. Also provides operational support to the Global Head of COM and the COM Leadership Team to enhance goal clarity, metrics reporting, engagement, and organizational efficiency.
- Areas of accountability: Role is accountable for clinical business operations and resource management for COM.
- Budget Management: Manages COM’s annual budget and serves as primary representative to key stakeholders within Alexion. Responsible for overall view and oversight of monthly COM accruals and forecasts.
- Contract Management: Develops robust processes to manage POs and invoice approvals, responsible for timely reconciliations, and partners with Finance and Procurement to ensure overall compliance.
- Resource Management: Builds highly efficient resourcing cross-functional plans for optimal global utilization of internal and FSP resources.
- Strategic Planning: Partner with key stakeholders to drive the strategic planning process integrating both budget and resource forecasts. In addition, partners internally with various DOQS functions and externally with our CRO partners to develop an annual operating plan/budget and resource forecasting/management across COM
- Process Management: Accountable for implementing highly effective processes and efficient systems to manage clinical budgets and resource management. Create and deliver a plan to systematically identify performance gaps and create appropriate mitigations. Work with key stakeholders to develop, plan, and drive cross-functional process improvement initiatives. Provides oversight of all external partners and develops consistent processes across vendors and portfolio.
- Compliance: Accountable for driving financial compliance processes and governance working closely with Finance. Procurement and other key stakeholders. Ensure compliance to appropriate budget management SOPs and WIs. Develop oversight and governance processes to ensure compliance.
- Productivity: Partners with internal and external stakeholders to develop scorecards to quantify and, where appropriate, validate savings to drive COM effectiveness and efficiency.
- Actively fosters a can-do attitude to drive exceptional performance and continuous improvement. Partners with key members of DOQS LT as well as the COM Extended LT to lead and influence COMs strategic plan and financial management.
- Leadership & Collaboration
- An active and participating member of the COM Leadership Team
- Drives consistency and resolution of end-to-end challenges and opportunities in collaboration with other cross-functional stakeholders within and outside of DOQS to ensure COM alignment with strategic direction
- 10+ years of drug development experience with strong understanding of pharmaceutical development processes, objectives and strategy across various disciplines / functions.
- Proven experience in budget and resource forecasting and management processes, methodologies and systems.
- Proven experience in strategic planning processes at the functional and organizational level
- Strong skills in leading and managing cross-functional projects with significant business impact
- Proven excellence in operational strategy and demonstrated ability to execute operationally
- Action orientated and competitive: ability to make things happen with a strong will to win and drive change.
- Advanced ability to work in a matrix environment and develop constructive partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s level degree required. Masters or Doctoral degree or equivalent in a scientific or business discipline preferred.
Location: Zurich, Zurich, CH
Posted Date: 4/20/2021