Assists in the administration and maintenance of the central plant, equipment, and both the generation of all utilities and their distribution systems. Works under the direction of the Facilities Director.
• Plans, organizes, and controls activities of maintenance department to keep staff engaged in maintaining, repairing, and renovating plant and facilities
• In conjunction with the Lead Engineer inspects equipment to determine operating condition
• Regulates flow of gas, oil and water for proper control of boilers and auxiliary equipment
• Evaluates operating conditions by inspection and review of equipment logbooks to detect malfunctioning of equipment
• Performs daily inspections of equipment to determine the need for adjustments and repair
• Makes chemical tests of water in boilers and alters content of chemicals as required
• Supervises internal and external cleaning of boilers
• Monitors and maintains cooling towers, chilled water pumps, condenser water pumps, make-up water pumps, domestic water pumps, sump pumps, ejector pumps, fire pumps, system strainers and blow downs
• Uses BAS and other operator computerized controls systems to make adjustments and monitor system operation
• Takes remedial action as required in response to alarm conditions or system failures as observed or reported.
• Directly supervises the Plant Electrician(s)
• Monitors and maintains as required other Central Plant equipment such as emergency generators, automatic switching equipment, Motor Control Centers, combustion air fans and Central Plant exhaust systems
• Operates and monitors systems for the conveyance of medical gases such as medical air, medical vacuum, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc.
• In conjunction with the Lead Engineer directly supervises and schedules the activities of Boiler Fireman, Steam Operators and licensed Engineers as required
• Directly supervises the Plumbing Shop and the position of Utilities Manager and Shop Coordinators
• Maintains and follows all established safety and security procedures as established by Plant Manager, Facilities Management and Mount Sinai
• Assists with preparation of department records in compliance of TJC, Department of Health Standards, local authorities, and other regulatory agencies
• Works with the Director of Plant Operations in the coordination of construction and renovation programs for the facility
• Assists with responsibilities of the department and shares weekend duties with other managers when required
• Assists in coordination of the facility’s fire response team
• The ability to read, comprehend, and transmit complicated detailed instructions in writing and verbally
• Proficient knowledge of all Microsoft applications
• Maryland 1st Grade Engineering License required