- Accurately interprets and assures compliance with established house policies, procedures and philosophy of care as well as state and Federal Regulations.
- Maintains optimum nursing care through effective and accurate communication with all members of the health care team on a twenty four hour basis.
- Informs Administrator , Director of Nursing and/or Assistant Director of Nursing on a continuous basis of all pertinent information concerning residents, staff, families and other personnel she may deal with.
- Assess and evaluates nursing needs of each unit and assign personnel accordingly.
- Finds replacements for nurses and nurse aides as needed.
- Prepares required reports and forms for Administration.
- Promotes good interpersonal relationships both intradepartmental and interdepartmental.
- Organizes monthly unit meetings ensures compliance of unit meetings. Submits minutes of monthly meetings to Director of Nursing.
- Participates in committees including but not limited to Quality Assurance, Nursing Policy and procedure.
- Attends supervisor's meetings as scheduled.
- Attends Charge Nurse meetings as scheduled.
- Delegates to the Charge and Staff Nurses the administrative authority, responsibility and accountability necessary to perform their assigned duties.
- Ensures that all nursing service personnel are following their respective job descriptions.
- Demonstrates sensitively to the needs of staff members, residents and families and provides reassurance and support as needed.
- Reports and documents pertinent information and problems concerning any staff members under her/his authority.
- Responsible for performance of agency nurses.
- Maintains leadership role by providing discipline, constructive criticism and issuing warnings as indicated with fairness and justice.
- Gives recognition and praise for work well done, verbally and through the use of anecdotal notes.
- Reviews performance appraisal with licensed personnel and assists them setting goals and standards of performance as needed.
- Assist charge nurse with nurse aides performances reviews.
- Suggest measures for attaining highest potential.
- May be requested formulates nursing service schedules for respective shift.
- Attends in house meetings, conferences and inservice classes where applicable.
- Promotes growth and development of individual nurses by promoting independence and delegating responsibility and providing guidance and assistance as needed.
- Reviews evaluations yearly with the Director of Nursing.
- Inspects and observes to see that good nursing care os given at all times and that proper documentation is carried out according to regulations and established policies and procedures.
- Ensures optimum nursing care and comfort of all residents by unit rounds two three times a shift and as indicated discussion with unit nurse and visits to residents discussed during shift report as indicated.
- Maintains equipment, ensures adequacy of supplies on each unit. and assist in conforming to allocated budget through their proper utilization.
- Periodically reviews charts to see that required documentation is recorded.
- Makes environmental rounds to ensure compliance with fire and safety regulation and basic infection control practices.
- Performs quality assurance studies/audits and reports findings to quality assurance committee and assists in resolution of identifies problems.
- Is responsible to ensure that all employees under her/his supervision attend all mandatory inservice programs and other scheduled programs as able.
- Investigates resident incidents and accidents to ensure proper assessment and documentation of incident, recommendations for intervention , preventive measures, emergency care as needed and proper follow up.
- Ensures that proper nursing policies and procedures are carried out by periodic observation of staff performance. Ensures correct narcotic count and documentation of controlled substances.
- Is present on at least one unit daily during meal time when possible to ensure appropriate feeding time a procedures and reports findings to Director of Nursing.
- Gives accurate, detailed shift report. Receives report with pertinent data from previous shift.
- Uses effective nursing skills and judgement in emergency and crisis situation.
- Accompanies and assists MDs with special treatments and procedures.
- Administers tuberculin tests as needed . Assist with direct care when needed.
- Initiates IV therapy as needed. Administers IV medication as needed.
- Performs lab draw as needed. Performs EKGs as needed in emergency situations.
- Administers first aid to employees and sends to hospital as needed.
- Obtains medications from pharmacy for immediate use. Obtains supplies from sterline stores as needed.
- Follows duties outlined in facilities fire safety and disasters plans.
- Participates in "mock" drills.
- Performs unrelated duties in an emergency as needed.
- May account physicians on rounds, assist him/her as needed, receives instructions and notes on resident care requirements.
- May render nursing care , administer medication and perform treatments.
- Performs other duties related to position as needed.
- Prepares written reports for administration on all critical or acutely ill residents with significant changes in general condition on a daily basis. Periodically reviews resident's care plans with staff nurse.
- Graduate of state approved school of nursing.
- Previous experience as Staff Nurse and Charge Nurse in which administrative, supervisory and leadership abilities have been demonstrated. Advanced education desirable.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in New York State.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Experience required: Mid-Senior Level
Click Here to Apply