The ideal candidate will perform the essential duties of the Pre-Construction and Estimating Department for VBC |Construction. Primarily responsible for full coordination and execution of large complex estimates with minimal supervision.
- Review and procure bonds and insurance as required.
- Review plans and specifications for completeness.
- Creation of subcontractor lists and development of bid packages.
- Prepare bid submission documents. (RFQ, RFP, RFI)
- Perform quantity surveys (takeoffs) to determine the amounts of labor and materials necessary to complete the work.
- Apply the proper unit pricing to determine a total price for the work, including type of labor costs associated with a specific project. (ie. Open Shop, Prevailing Wage, Union)
- Analyze and compile data of external factors that can influence costs and efficiencies.
- Prepare detailed scope of work documents for each trade.
- Make decisions regarding the sequence of operations, site constraints, crew sizes, productivity factors, and project schedule.
- Coordinate the total estimating effort relevant to a particular bid or negotiated project.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with clients, architects, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Attend meetings with clients, manufacturing and architectural teams that pertain to project costs.
- Convey to the project team the details of the estimate, including opportunities and risks.
- Update job specifications in BuilderTrend (our Construction Project Management software.
- Review and analyze estimated vs. actual costs.
- Analyze documents for Best Value.
- Provide complete conceptual and final estimating input on complex projects.
- Provide training, mentoring, hiring of junior or assistant Estimators.
- Able to assemble constructability, value engineering and life cycle reports on an as needed basis though out the design process.
- Track actual field productivity rates to create accurate units costs for Estimating Department use.
- Participate in client interviews and attend business development functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general building techniques and sequences.
- Knowledge of building codes and standards.
- Skilled in plan reading and interpretation.
- Skilled in both verbal and written communication.
- Proficient in Excel, Blue Beam and determine the most efficient estimating software to acquire for the company. Example, On Screen Take Off (OST) software applications.
- Ability to use Building Information Modeling tools to extract quantities and analyze models.
- Must be able to maintain focus during the stress that can occur on bid day.
- Ability to manage several duties and processes to meet critical bid deadlines.
- Have a propensity towards mathematics and/or accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Civil Engineering (preferred) or equivalent combinations of technical training and experience.
- Five years estimating experience.
Pay range for this position $100,000-$110,000. Volumetric Building Companies offer competitive pay, a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid-time-off, holiday pay and generous 401(k).
VBC is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at VBC via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of VBC. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by VBC as a result of the referral or through other means.
Experience required: Mid-Senior Level
Click Here to Apply