Engen Contracting Inc.
Vice President of Construction
This position is an Austin-based position - candidates must be local to Austin and have spent the last 5 or more years in the Austin market.
Austin-based Engen Contracting Inc (“ECI”), a Commercial General Contracting firm, looks to fill the position of Vice President of Construction. ECI builds sound commercial structures, and we are growing fast thanks to our client relationships and talented team. ECI is headquartered in North Austin and our clients are now all-over Central Texas as we continue to expand with client requests. ECI consists of an amazing group of hardworking, productive, and dedicated team members who love what they do and excel at being the best. Our team is not only accountable to the company, but also to themselves and are individuals committed to excellence.
The Vice President of Construction is responsible for evaluating prospective projects, overseeing pre-construction, and representing the organization throughout the construction phase. The Vice President of Construction leads the construction team to provide management of due diligence, programming, design, entitlements, bidding, permitting, procurement, subcontractor selection, schedule creation/management, vendor selection, sustainability, and post-construction services.
It is also the responsibility of the Vice President of Construction not only to exhibit legendary customer service when communicating with clients, consultants, owners, and vendors but also to focus on productivity and results in a manner that builds up the team - ensures Safety in all ways - promotes construction excellence and foster a team of problem solvers who demonstrate integrity.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and has a dotted line to the Chief Operations Officer. It is essential that the VP of Construction be a working teammate functioning as a project manager on some projects in addition to their role as a business leader. Additionally, this position will require close contact and collaboration with the CEO and COO.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides Leadership to the operations group in the allocation of resources to ensure a high level of execution, organization, cooperation, communication, and accuracy in managing the relationship and operational issues of all projects
- Ensure operating procedures, regulations, and policies are appropriately communicated and applied
- Remain abreast of industry advancements, knowledge, and best practices and seek opportunities to embed these advancements within the business
- Provides guidance on future organizational charts, hiring needs for field and management, subcontractor relationships, etc.
- Participate in new work pursuits, assessing projects, and aiding in presentations
- Partner with the leadership team to continually monitor projects, including conducting regular Project Reviews, to assess the financial and contractual performance of projects. Take action to address underperformance and profitability risks.
- Provide guidance to the Estimating Teams for Project Pursuits including execution strategies, schedule input, win strategies, and potential sub/peer partnerships to help win new work
- Review and oversee payment applications,
- Review change orders for accuracy & proper detail prior to being submitted to a client for approval
- Analysis and due diligence of potential projects.
- Manage the review of construction plans and specifications for accuracy and completeness.
- Offer guidance regarding cost, constructability, and integrity of materials, methods, and systems.
- Recommend value engineering options.
- Negotiate with contractors, consultants, and suppliers to obtain the most complete scope of work at the best price and schedule.
- Make recommendations regarding the award of work.
- Lead the negotiation of construction contracts, amendments, modifications, and addenda. completeness.
- Manage, create, review, interpret, and analyze critical path construction schedules.
- Manage, prepare, or assist in the building of development pro forma models.
- Manage the regular inspection of the construction sites/attend of regular construction meetings.
- Manage construction monitoring to determine compliance with budgets, plans, specifications, manufacturer requirements, industry standards, laws, and regulations.
- Manage the review of general contractor submittals.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships among partners, staff, clients, contractors, consultants, municipal officials, etc.
- Maintain internal communication with staff and other team members involved in each project.
- Be prepared to attend Planning Commission and City Council approvals and hearings as necessary.
- A college degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, or a related field is considered.
- Business degree with demonstrated relevant construction experience considered.
- Ten years of experience with a general contractor or a developer constructing industrial or commercial projects in the Texas market.
- Ten years of experience as a project manager / senior project manager of industrial or commercial projects in the Texas market.
- The ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects of various sizes and scopes.
- Thorough knowledge/skill in using MS Office i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Knowledge and implementation of MS Project scheduling from inception to opening.
- Knowledge and experience with Procore or a similar project management software
- The ability to work in multiple cities and states including travel to project sites as required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in new construction and renovation.
- Understanding of design techniques and principles involved in the production of coordinated construction documents and related design work.
- Experience in managing teams throughout the design, pre-construction, construction, project closeout, and administration processes.
- Sound experience in legal, economic, and accounting principles and practices utilized in construction.
- Sound experience in tracking construction project budgets, budget forecasting, overall company budgets & giving details budget reports
- Ability to work with limited supervision, effectively manage time, and multi-task.
- Skilled mentor with the ability to positively influence others and foster collaboration
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills, with the ability to interact professionally and productively with staff at all levels, including firm leadership. Strong customer service skills are needed to build and maintain relationships
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Self-starter. Capable of working productively in a team setting, as well as independently
- Behavior that supports a positive work environment keeping in line with the company mission and values
Powered by JazzHR
Location: Austin, Texas, US
Posted Date: 3/12/2023
Engen Contracting Inc.