Why HIP Housing? Human Investment Project, Inc. (HIP Housing) is a highly respected nonprofit agency offering innovative solutions to the San Mateo County affordable housing challenge. Founded in 1972, HIP Housing's mission is to invest in human potential by improving the housing and lives of people in our community. We provide housing options to 1400 low-income people each year and benefit from an exceptional staff, well-established programs, and financial stability. HIP Housing's programs are nationally recognized and have been highlighted in Newsweek, USA Today, Metropolitan Home, and on the Oprah Winfrey Show.
Our Team Our team includes a staff of 42 with a diverse governing board of 18-20 Directors who assist in the advancement of HIP Housing's mission. We seek team members who embrace our mission and respect our commitment to our community and our staff.
Job Summary The Grant Writer will work closely with the Development Officer and Executive Director with the goal to raise money to support HIP Housing. This role will research and develop grant opportunities that align with the organization's mission. In addition to facilitating, tracking, and improving our grant process, this position will participate in external communications that reflect the organization's brand and bolster our database administration using Raiser's Edge.
- Write and edit grant proposals and reports, inclusive of reputable and meaningful affordable housing data and a tailored grant narrative
- Analyze grant RFPs to determine how to best approach writing the proposal or report
- Keep abreast of local, state, and federal research on affordable housing and other pertinent issues for inclusion in grant proposals and reports
- Compose and record acknowledgment letters for all individual donations
- Facilitate the end-to-end of grant tracking and award acknowledgment and submission by ensuring the grant agreement and award process are completed, returned, and recorded in a timely manner
- Write and mail acknowledgment letters for all grant awards
- Work with Development Officer on grant materials for Board meetings
- Research foundations, corporations, and government funders and maintain said contacts in Raiser's Edge
- Guide program interns and volunteers on prospecting for grants
- Research, write, and/or edit external communications as needed, including press releases, newsletter articles, blog posts, social media posts, emails to donors, etc
- Pull and verify grant reports and inter-departmental records for the fiscal year on a monthly and annual basis using Raiser's Edge
- Use the current fiscal year's grant records and knowledge of the grant landscape, projecting grant awards for the coming fiscal year
- Excellent knowledge of the nonprofit fundraising process
- Excellent written communication and editing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently while remaining engaged in a strong, mutually respectful team
- Clear, friendly, and professional public speaking manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Access)
- Capacity for database and experience with Raiser's Edge Database is a plus!
- Bachelor's degree in a liberal arts field preferred
- Three (3) years experience in grant writing is preferred, but we will consider candidates with a strong background in communications and/or content writing
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working at a computer screen
- Must be able to lift 30-35 lbs
Compensation and Benefits
- Full-time, non-exempt, at-will, annually reviewed position
- Health Insurance
- Vision & Dental Insurance
- PTO/Paid Holidays/ Floating Holidays
- Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
- Matched Pension Plan
- This position features the option for alternating Fridays off
- Open to some flexible scheduling
Location 800 S. Claremont Street, #210, San Mateo, CA 94403
HIP Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Human Investment Project, Inc. is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Human Investment Project, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected
veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status.
Location: San Mateo, CA, US
Posted Date: 11/16/2021
Human Investment Project, Inc. (HIP Housing)